When you are looking to buy a home or refinance it is important that your credit is in tip-top shape. It is often a credit score that gets in the way of a home buyer and their dream home. Credit today means everything as far as your purchasing power. So if you want to be ready when opportunity knocks read on for some for smart ideas on how to keep your credit score going up.
1. Use your credit cards.
This may sound funny but it is important to have credit over having no credit. Paying in cash and over using credit cards isn’t always a good move for your credit score. Cards that are seldom used are often shut down or closed by the credit card companies. Because 30 percent of your credit score is based on your debt-to-credit-limit ratio you will want to have a high your total available credit. Having one account closed increases that ratio of available credit to debt and thus lowers your credit score.
2. Pay off your credit cards.
It may seem to make sense to pay off the highest-interest card first and save the most money in the end. But your credit score will get a bigger boost from knocking off the lowest-balance card. Instead of spreading your monthly payments equally among credit cards, pay down the lowest-balance card first and pay minimum balances on the rest. As you pay off each card, apply the money you would have paid on it to the next-lowest-balance card.
3. Don’t close cards once they are paid off.
The length of time you’ve had credit determines fifteen percent of your score. By closing your oldest account, you can shorten the length of your credit history causing a big hit to your score.
4. Keep the balance low
Much of your credit score is determined by your debt-to-credit-limit ratio on individual accounts. Maxing out one card raises your debt-to-credit-limit ratio and your credit score. So be sure to keep balances as low as possible. Try to target no more than 30 percent of your credit limit.
5. Stay away from retail-card accounts.
These are a big no-no. Retail store cards often have lower limits and higher interest rates. So running up balances on low-limit store cards affects your credit score more negatively than does using one or two bank cards. So in the long run the fifteen percent you were going to save on the one purchase will probably cost you more in the end.
This barely broken-in ranch on over 6 private acres offers an open floor plan, radiant heat throughout, a light and bright living room with vaulted ceilings and wood stove, and all Andersen windows and doors. The downstairs has a separate entrance and full bathroom. Outside there is a 12×20 shed with electricity and water, irrigation for front of the house and a large yard with beautiful and unique plantings.
This is a Ranch style home and features 4 total rooms, 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 2 bedrooms, 6.00 Acres, and is currently available for $429,000.
For complete details click here.
Featured Property Slideshow
Falmouth MA ListingsFalmouth, MA - $169,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoFalmouth, MA - $339,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Expandable - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:23 hours agoFalmouth, MA - $339,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Contemporary - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:25 hours agoFalmouth, MA - $339,000 - Single-Family - Cape, Expandable - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:27 hours ago
Mashpee MA ListingsMashpee, MA - $429,000 - Condo - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/12 hours agoMashpee, MA - $820,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:4/12 hours agoMashpee, MA - $313,500 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:23 hours agoMashpee, MA - $262,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:23 hours ago
Bourne MA ListingsBourne, MA - $1,600,000 - Single-Family - Bungalow, Contemporary, Seasonal - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:27 hours agoBourne, MA - $1,600,000 - Single-Family - Bungalow - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:28 hours agoBourne, MA - $420,000 - Condo - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/19 hours agoBourne, MA - $425,000 - Condo - - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/19 hours ago
- Police Log: Arrests for Drug Possession, Outstanding Warrants Friday May 22, 2013The Falmouth Police Department provided the following. It does not indicate a conviction. […]
- Police Make Six Arrests Saturday May 22, 2013The Falmouth Police Department provided the following. It does not indicate a conviction. […]
- Turbines to stay in Falmouth May 22, 2013Voters soundly rejected a question on Tuesday's ballot that would have funded the removal of two town-owned wind turbines. […]
- Somerville Man Revived After Near Drowning in Megansett Harbor May 21, 2013A 69-year-old man from Somerville was pulled out of Megansett Harbor in North Falmouth on Sunday morning by a Falmouth doctor and a Falmouth judge who happened to be in the area. […]
- Police Log: Arrests for Drug Possession, Outstanding Warrants Friday May 22, 2013
- Barnstable District Court May 22, 2013BOUDREAU, Jeffrey, 43, 4 Old Forge Road, Sandwich; larceny of more than $250, April 16 in Sandwich. […]
- Orleans District Court May 21, 2013WOOLF, Kristin, 33, 20 Sunset Terrace, Barnstable; guilty of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, April 28, 2012, in Eastham, one year of probation, 45-day license loss, $1,847.22 costs and $50 fee; not guilty of negligent driving. […]
- Nuclear foes seek day in court May 21, 2013Ten members of the Cape-based watchdog group that has long called for the closure of the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth were arrested Sunday and arraigned in Plymouth District Court on Monday for trespassing onto power plant property after a rally outside the gate. […]
- Native American Skills To Be Demonstrated At Cape Cod National Seashore On June 1 May 19, 2013The culture and traditions of the Wampanoag tribe will be on display at Cape Cod National Seashore on June 1 at the Salt Pond Visitor Center. […]
- Barnstable District Court May 22, 2013
- Georgia Decas Chamberlain, 91 May 22, 2013Georgia Decas Chamberlain, 91, passed peacefully at home after an extended illness on May 5, Greek Easter, fitting for a woman proud of being a Decas and proud of her Greek heritage. […]
- One injured in single-car accident in Bourne early today May 19, 2013The unidentified driver taken to Falmouth Hospital with unknown injuries, according to Bourne police. […]
- Death notices May 19, 2013BOYER: of Old Saybrook, Conn., formerly of New Bedford, Mass., Monday, May 13, 2013, Yvette , 83. […]
- Falmouth Man Sentenced to 25 Years For Role in Drug Ring May 18, 2013Another man connected to the 2011 "Operation: Buzzards Prey" drug bust has been sentenced for his role in the Cape Cod-based drug-dealing operation. […]
- Georgia Decas Chamberlain, 91 May 22, 2013